Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What is Lane CC doing, anyway??

Assessment and Collaboration

This is the last blog of Winter 2011, and I want to thank everyone who has participated either by posting a blog, posting a comment to a blog, or reading and thinking about the issues.

For this last blog, I want to direct your attention to the assessment program at Lane Community College. I heard through the grapevine (by which I mean I got this as unsubstantiated gossip) that Lane CC was the only Oregon community college not "dinged" for assessment by the accrediting agency, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, in this recent round of letters. While I am not sure if that is true, I do know that they have some wonderful resources posted for their faculty to use as they work on assessment projects. Since all institutions of higher education are feeling the pressure to move to a "culture of accountability," it makes sense to look over the work of some of our "sister" institutions to see what we like, what we want to emulate.... and what pitfalls we want to avoid!

I also want to thank the many faculty members, librarians, and counselors who have participated in our assessment class. We will be showcasing some of their discoveries and projects in the third Annual Spring Assessment Circus, coming in May. Look for news in later blogs. For now, I am wishing everyone happy grading and a joyful spring break!

Shirlee

No comments:

Post a Comment